Still life Experimentation

coke can

2

3

4

I began by experimenting with objects I thought would be interesting to capture . I then began to experiment with lighting by discovering  what works and what doesn’t so much. I wanted to play around a little with the camera (canon 500D) and lightning together. So I took many shots, adjusting the light each time.  After uploading them I began to edit using Raw. I have never used it before so this was a good way to start learning the basics. I played around with the exposure, temperature, contrast, shadows etc to discover what creates a good composition.

I went for quite a dark image, using black as the backdrop. I find that the image is more in focus and attentive to the eye if it contrast against its background. Furthermore the shadowing elements are very strong, crushing the can created light to hit certain aspects of the can, emphasizing shadowing in certain places, creating texture on the can.

I really like the first image the most as I the way the light has reflected onto the can excites the photo completely. The only critique I have is the lighting in the top right hand corner. I should if shaded the background to be completely in darkness instead of the white lingering behind the can. But to say it was my first time shooting Still image it went well and I got some good images out of it. It helped me gain an understanding so when I did come to shooting my final shots for my triptych I had an idea of what I needed to do.