Portraiture Research

Steve McCurry

What is important to my work is the individual picture. I photograph stories on assignment, and of course they have to be put together coherently. But what matters most is that each picture stands on its own, with its own place and feeling. ”
Steve McCurry has been a one of the most iconic figures in contemporary photography for over 30 years. He has done work such as magazines, book covers and many exhibitions around the world. He was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where he studied film  before going on to work for a local newspaper. He began travelling to India which is where he began to explore even further with his camera.

I found McCurry from researching famous portrait photographers and really fell for his engaging and beautiful photography. The way he expresses a person and catches the colours and depth of a person I found very endearing.  He travels around the world taking images of strangers from all different cultures, conflicts, ancient traditions and ethic backgrounds, capturing them in  such detail that each image has a story to tell. I find that the eyes are the most engaging in his photographs, you can really look deep into the person and see much further past that. The use of shallow depth of field has brought his subject into focus, pulling their eyes straight and displaying prominent facial expressions. I find his work very inspiring and I’d like to reflect his style into my photographs for the Portraiture brief.

Here are few of my favourite portraits which I find inspiring and captivating;

TIBET-10009

PAKISTAN. Peshawar. 1984. Afghan Girl at Nasir Bagh refugee camp.

MALI-10004

italy-10427nf2

http://stevemccurry.com/